Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Penang Day 13: Aug 18

Even though all the other cities we have visited our nice, there is something better about Penang, which I feel a closer tie to. This is the city where half of my family grew up, and according to my father it has surely grown into a large metropolis. Culminating our drive from Singapore on the Penang Bridge, we hurriedly made plans with aunts and uncles for a dinner at the same New Town Steamboat Restaurant (see previous posts). However, they were closed on this Tuesday (be weary of some restaurants around here being closed on Monday or Tuesday).

Instead, my uncle wanted to take us to a restaurant called Hainan Town on the jetty with a great view. Since we had a large party, we had our own private air-conditioned room. Although the restaurant was very empty at first, the place started filling up around 7, and consistently until about 9 was fully packed with people from all over including foreigners. We ordered a set meal which included plenty of dishes including fried chicken, fish, prawns, spring rolls, lo bak (pork), mutten (lamb or goat) mixed vegetables with noodles, bean sprout. The set was pricey, costing RM 350. However, the food was not that great either, as we all preferred my cousin's restaurant whose dishes were "more sharp and spicier" according to my aunt. Fair enough, but one thing about Hainan Town is on a clear day it has a great view of the jetty/marina and the Straits of Malacca.

Sometimes I wish we could stay here longer, or just stay in cities longer. However, part of me just a little tiny bit of me likes the idea of home. I want to try to stay in Malaysia the whole summer some time, but who knows..

No comments:

Post a Comment