Monday, August 24, 2009

Berkeley Day 18: Aug 23

Since it is near the start of the school year, for the University of California, Berkeley, foot traffic and all traffic is considerably up. My sister wanted to go to Caltopia which is an expo for Berkeley businesses. The expo is great for getting free stuff, competing, and just having fun. Soon, it was time for my sister and mom to go back home from the Oakland Airport. I'm staying bit longer until Thursday to stay with my other sister who goes to school at Berkeley.

After the airport, my dad and I had lunch at Panda Express. It was pretty good, with friendly, but a little pushy people. It seems they want you to order certain things. This one is on Oakport Road about two miles north of the airport.

My sister really wanted to shop at Union Square in San Francisco. Over here is the Powell Street streetcar, American Eagle, Gap, Apple, etc. There are plenty of street musicians playing their hearts out, homeless dancing around, drummers playing on overturned trashcans, people walking out of theaters, giddy teens and worn out parents walking to the Westfield Shopping Center. Unfortunately Union Square is ignored by shoppers, where newly paved grounds actively discourage loitering. Mean-spirited city planners built them that way lest visitors get too comfortable and forget to shop around at the several department and chain stores.

Driving back to East Bay, I slept at the hotel while my dad and sister went running to the Berkeley Marina. At around 9 pm, we headed to dinner at House of Curries on College Ave at East Berkeley. This restaurant is a chain with 4 locations, 2 in Berkeley, 1 in Alameda, and 1 in Oakland. House of Curries is significantly cleaner than other area Indian restaurants, although its bathroom could use some work. I got a classic Chicken Tandoori and Naan, which were both super flavorful, although the chicken was almost too burnt. The menu is simple enough and contains curries with meats, seafood, and veggies. It's almost one and I am wide awake. This is actually almost fun, being able to stay up all night, which I don't, but have the ability to do so. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment