Saturday, August 22, 2009

Penang Day 15: Aug 20

It's been quite a trip. I can barely remember myself at the beginning.
Crazy. This is the last day of Malaysia in my blog.

Waking up from dreams, we immediately went to my cousins restaurant
nyonya breeze. The environment inside is one of the cleanest in Penang
with strong air conditioning and classy stools around marble tables.
Ordering was pretty much the same including the really good nyonyan
fried chicken. Satay as an appetizer was the worst dish according to
me. Others would say it's the best. Chicken satay is basically roasted
chicken with special sauce on a stick. Malay satay is notoriously dry,
cooked a bit more, and leaner. Chinese/nyonyan satay is wetter, dipped
I. Sauce immediately, and fattier. Nyonya breeze has the latter, which
I really don't like. Of course we didn't tell my cousin that.

A mad shopping (yay...) dash was made to Prangin Mall. The last day we
all stocked up on good deals and bartered for lower prices. The art of
bargaining is very entertaining and some people even have strategies.
After spending the entire afternoon there we went to meet my uncle and
cousin for one last time.

The destination was visited a couple days earlier. The steamboat
restaurant on macalister. This time was not too different except he
addition of satay. Dim sum was as always very good. I dared to venture
into the bathrooms and they were actually pretty good for Malaysian
standards. We all stayed at my grandmas house for the night before
leaving the next day.

Waking up early (again!), we drove to the airport after saying a sad
goodbye to my grandma. Lifting off on CX 692 to hong kong, I reflected
on all that had happened this trip by reading my own entries. I can't
believe that i actually recorded all the days. It's definitely been
worth it. Whether fir people, food, culture, friends, shopping,
favorable exchange rates, or just travelling itself, this journey was
by far the most worth it and most memorable for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment